We know that when you post a job listing on Idealist, you want to make sure to get the right people connected to the right position in your organization. Here are some tips for making the most of your Idealist listing.
First, let’s take a look at what a not-so-great listing looks like, starting with the title.
With an unclear title, you’ll be missing out on people searching for common search terms within their area of interest.
So, this is not a great listing. Let’s look at why:
- This listing also doesn’t do a great job of describing the position.
- The benefits are atrocious!
- Even if your organization doesn’t have the most robust benefits package, try to think about the intangible things a potential recruit might be interested in.
- A very high professional level and education requirement might be appropriate, but without an adequate description, this might seem really unreasonable.
- There’s not a lot of time between the application deadline and the start date, which will leave your HR person scrambling and could turn people off from applying.
So how do we remedy all of these potential sticking points? Let’s take a look at a great listing!
This listing has a clear title, explicit salary information, and a very detailed description. This is all information a job seeker would like to get their hands on!
The time between the start date for the position and the application deadline is about a month, giving your team time to decide who will be the best person for the position.
This listing also provides detailed information about an appealing benefits package that attract applicants, as well as retain them. If your organization isn’t in the financial position to offer a robust benefits package, don’t leave this section blank! Think about intangible benefits. You could use this space to offer information about:
- Rewarding work
- Connection with the organization’s mission
- Flexible schedule
Language requirements are also detailed here.
Finally, the How to Apply section has explicit and detailed instructions. In our user research, we’ve discovered that unclear application instructions can often be the deciding factor regarding whether a qualified applicant actually decides to apply for the position. Being as clear as possible in this section will help connect you to the talent you’re looking for.
It might take a little longer to put together a listing that touches on each of these points, but it will be worth it in the long run when you’ve got the best possible talent working at your organization.
Need a second pair of eyes on your listing to see if it passes muster? Reach out to our support team for some assistance!